Thursday, August 25, 2016

Lets Take A Walk


Let’s Take A Walk


I posted part of this post on Linked-In but I wanted to put this on my blog as well, so here goes.


News Flash! A sedentary lifestyle, you know the kind that is spent behind the computer, on the couch or in your recliner is not good for you, but you already know that. 


I know, you work and when you get home you really don’t feel like exercising or you have more work to do behind that computer or your couch or recliner is too appealing to get out of or you feel like exercise will kill you.  You know, I felt the same way and I paid for it.  I worked as a Computer Geek and put on the pounds to the tune of weighing 300 plus pounds.  I was out of breath, my heart was working double overtime and my knees were giving me hell.  On the up side I had a place to set my coffee whether I was walking or sitting and that was my belly.  I am here to tell you that this was not good.


Thanks to my wife, a change of jobs and a health scare I went to work changing the way I lived my life.  I started eating healthier by cutting carbs drastically, no breads, no pasta and the hardest thing of all no SODA!  But there still was that exercise thing.  You see I don’t do gyms.  They are too expensive, too smelly, and I hate people trying to kill me because of an exercise program they think is good for me.


So I went searching for an Easy Button, something that would get me moving but was cheap, didn’t stink and that I chose rather than someone else and I think I found it, 40 minutes a day.


Are you interested in starting an exercise program or maybe even a weight loss program but don't want to buy a gym membership and have some trainer beat you up every time you go?


Then think about this.  Walking just 40 minutes a day will get you started on your journey to wellness and quite possibly weight loss.  Yep, that's what I said 40 minutes a day. 


It doesn't have to be a high speed walk, a 20 mile hike and you don't have to get your heart beat up to 130 beats a minute you just have to walk.


Doctors say that a 40 minute walk 5 times a week has very good health benefits to fight those diseases that are exasperated by being sedentary like high blood pressure, arthritis and diabetes.  It moves muscles you haven’t used in a while, it gets you out from behind that computer that my wife call my second wife, and it gets you out of your recliner and off that couch that has become form fitting with your backside.  40 minutes a day that’s all.


Pick a place that is pleasing to you and someone you would like to just take a walk with and go on that stroll in the park or at the sea shore on the beach. Leave that pesky cell phone at home and talk to the person you are with.  Open your eyes to the beauty of the world around you and soon you will be ready for a more speed or a little more exercise.


My point here is to get off of that couch or from behind that computer or out of that recliner and move.  The healthy eating can come later but right now just get out there and enjoy the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment